10 April 2005

Sin City


Sin City


The trailers for this movie were amazing, and, contrary to what Katie says, I thought the movie lived up to them, even though they never used Cells in the actual movie.
Marv's storyline is the first of the three and it revolves around an ex-con named, obviously, Marv. Mickey Rourke does an awesome job of playing the odd-looking tough guy. The humourous lines he delivers are great too: "I know eating people is pretty weird". His story was probably my favourite, though I'm never going to look at Elijah Wood the same ever again. Creepy.
Clive Owen's story is the second one and I was really glad that Brittany Murphy didn't play a huge part in it. She really annoys me. Clive Owen plays Dwight, who's occupation isn't really stated, though it's clear it's a really legal profession. He hangs with some whores (Rosario Dawson, Devon Aoki, Alexis Bledel) and they accidentally kill a cop (Benecio del Toro). I think this is probably the most violent storyline, considering the way del Toro is treated. But there are also some funny bits in it, ie when one of Manute's henchmen is shot straight-through with what looks like a harpoon, but says "uh, guys? should I go to a doctor or something? hello?". Plus, it just rocks that Tommy Flanagan was in it as Brian, an Irish mercenary.
Bruce Willis' story was the last one, but I didn't enjoy it as much. Hartigan is a great character, but the love story between him and Jessica Alba (Nancy) was slightly disturbing, considering Hartigan is supposed to be around 60 and Nancy is all of 19 years old. SHUDDER. Nick Stahl was creepy and gross as Yellow Bastard, but I thought he did a great job, considering the amount of prosthetic and makeup he must have had to wear.
The music absolutely rocked in it, too. I think they put together a stellar cast, and had the storylines connect in a subtle, yet extremely creative way. Excellent movie. I think it's going to be one of those cult flicks. Hopefully it'll get people into the world of graphic novels.

No comments: